Notice of Taxicab Rate Review and Request for Public Comment
To All Interested Parties:
On March 31, 2021, the Philadelphia Parking Authority (“Authority”) approved, through Authority Order No. 21-003 (“Order”, download here Authority Order No. 21-003), the recommendation of the Taxicab and Limousine Division (“TLD”) to reopen a rate review investigation pursuant to the attached petition that was filed by certified taxicab driver Ronald Blount (“Petition”). A copy of the Petition may be downloaded here: Petition P-21-03-01 .
Now, based upon the Petition and the TLD’s recommendation to the Authority, the TLD seeks written comment from the public at large and the industry concerning the reopening of a rate review, including but not limited to:
(1) To allow for an upfront pricing model, i.e. a flexible fare, outside of the taxicab tariff and meter, through a smarthphone application associated with an Authority approved taxicab meter system, to provide passengers with a binding upfront fare quote of the requested trip versus calculating a running fare during a trip;
(2) An upfront pricing model based upon an algorithm of live and historical trip data, including metered fares, traffic and wait times;
(3) Drivers will receive an upfront fare offer that will include, at minimum, the pickup location and the flat fare being offered;
(4) A driver’s ability to refuse the requested trips using an upfront pricing model; and
(5) Any other requests as outlined in the Petition.
Interested parties are invited to submit written comments by May 7, 2021 to the attention of Christine A. Kirlin, Esq. to email@example.com or by mail: Philadelphia Parking Authority, Taxicab and Limousine Division, 2415 S. Swanson Street, Philadelphia, PA 19148.
During this comment period, the TLD will also begin to conduct its own investigation concering the aforementioned items of this rate review.
We very much appreciate your input concerning this matter. Thank you.
Christine A. Kirlin, Esq.
Taxicab and Limousine Division
Philadelphia Parking Authority