The PPA Blog

Information for Down the Road

HomeBlogHow to Get a Disabled-Only Parking Pole

How to Get a Disabled-Only Parking Pole

Disabled Parking SignAt the end of the day, most people just want to get home and relax. But, the quest for a parking spot after a long day’s work can be hectic and mentally draining. Countless circles around the block can seem like hours, and if you have a physical disability, walking 60 feet to your home can be 60 feet too much. With that in mind, let’s talk about parking eligibility for those with disabilities and special needs.

Let’s be honest: the LAST thing someone with a physical disability or special need should worry about is finding parking. The Philadelphia Parking Authority (PPA) knows that. That’s why we strictly enforce those illegally parked in disabled parking spots. If someone parks in a disabled parking zone — that’s a big no no. It means an automatic $301 ticket.

If you, or someone you know, has a physical disability and would like convenient parking near your home, we’d like to help.

Check out the frequently asked questions below regarding our Residential Parking for People with Disabilities (RPPD). If you have more questions, reach out to us on Facebook or X (formerly Twitter). We’re more than willing to guide you through this process.


Question: How do I get a “Disabled Only” parking space in front of my home?

Answer: You must apply for the space. Applicants must submit a physician’s certification of disability from their treating physician, which will be reviewed by Moss Rehabilitation Hospital. You can download an application online or you can call 215-683-9746 or 215-683-9736. Signs are installed by the PPA once all criteria is met.

Question: How much does it cost?

Answer: This program is free of charge for eligible residents.

Question: How long will the sign stay posted?

Answer: Zones are reviewed on a one- to three-year cycle to determine if they are still necessary.

Question: Are other vehicles permitted to park in this zone?

Answer: Yes. This space is not limited to the person who made the application for the zone.  Any vehicle with a disabled license plate or disabled-person parking placard may use the space.

Question: What happens if the pole or sign gets damaged?

Answer: The PPA is responsible for all repairs of the parking poles and signs.  If a pole or sign is loose or knocked down, please contact us at 215- 683-9736 or 215-683-9746 so we can make the necessary repairs.

Question: I’m moving. Who is responsible for removing the zone from my street?

Answer: The PPA is responsible for removing the zone. If you no longer require it, please contact us at 215-683-9736 or 215-683-9746. We do not know if the zone should be removed unless we are contacted.

Question: What should I do if I suspect someone is abusing a disabled-only parking zone?

Answer: Report it! If we receive reports of zone abuse—cones or other objects saving the zone, jockeying of cars to save a spot on the street— a parking investigator will be sent to investigate. If evidence of abuse is corroborated, the zone will be removed.

Question: I don’t have a parking space in front of my house and my neighbor will not give consent. Do I have any recourse?

Answer: You may request a consent hearing from the Office of Administrative Review Board at 215-686-5216.

Question: How do I get consent for an abandoned property or lot located next to my home?

Answer: This property is technically owned by the City of Philadelphia. Contact your City Councilperson and have them write you a letter stating that you are allowed to have a RPPD Zone infringe on this property.