#TBT: The Terrible Tow
Tow trucks: Probably not the most popular topic of conversation among motorists, but believe it or not, they have quite a history. In fact, there’s actually a Towing Hall of Fame and Museum down in Chattanooga, TN.
Anyway, let’s get back to Philly. Back in the early 1900s tow trucks were actually tow trailers and were in use throughout the city. But if you compare the picture to the left with one of our current tow trucks, you can see there’s definitely been upgrades over the years.
Nowadays in the city, you’ve probably seen our tow trucks every so often. If you’ve been towed, here’s what to do to get back behind the wheel in three steps:
- Call 1-888-591-3636 to confirm your vehicle has been towed. We will be able to tell you where your vehicle was taken.
- After confirming where your vehicle is located you must pay all outstanding tickets as well as tow and storage fees, plus all outstanding tickets and fees on any previously owned vehicles. These payments can be made at the Parking Violations Branch at 913 Filbert Street, near the bus station, or the Philadelphia Parking Authority (PPA) Impoundment Lot at 2501 Weccacoe Avenue, off Columbus Boulevard.
- After making all outstanding payments, go to the impoundment lot where your vehicle is located. You can find a full list of our Impound Lots here. Upon arriving, you must present the following documents to our Impoundment Lot staff:
- Your valid driver’s license
- Proof of current insurance for the vehicle
- Current vehicle registration
- Cashier’s receipt(s) along with the accompanying Bureau of Administrative Adjudication (BAA)/Parking Violations Branch (PVB) Release Authorization for payment and/or adjudication of the tow and storage charges
- Release authorization from the Philadelphia Traffic Court (only applies to vehicles impounded through Live Stop)